7/11/09

Naked In Death by J.D. Robb


Naked in Death by J.D. Robb
Genre: Adult - Mystery & Detective
Form: Audio Book
Series: In Death

Eve Dallas is a New York police lieutenant hunting for a ruthless killer. In over ten years on the force, she's seen it all - and knows that her survival depends on her instincts. And she's going against every warning telling her not to get involved with Roarke, an Irish billionaire - and suspect in Eve's murder investigation. But passion and seduction have rules of their own, and it's up to Eve to take a chance in the arms of a man she knows nothing about - except the addictive hunger of needing his touch.
Source: Booksfree.com



This is the beginning of a loooong series that has been recommended to me by several people. I can see why. I like Stephanie Plum, the bounty hunter that accidently get’s her man every time. I like Mackalya Lane – who hunts evil Fae, and with no real training, pulls off some pretty sweet moves. It’s only natural I’m going to like Eve Dallas, the futuristic cop who is the best at the job. I am concerned about the length of the series, and the fact I’m coming in on it so late in the game. On one hand, it’s good – because I don’t have to wait forever for the next book to come out. On the other hand – with over 20 books into the series, there is a chance that I will get bored with it. Plus, I like status quo right now. Roarke made such a great beau for Eve, I don’t want to see that boat rocked, but I can’t see how that will be possible with such a long lasting series.

Naked in Death, and probably the other books in the series – is much more serious and graphic than I am used to. The crimes committed are described in great detail, and you even get to be a witness in some cases. I just hope there is not much more involvement with kids. Having three kids of my own, I’m not really interested in reading about child abuse, murder, etc. It’s just too much for me to handle.

I was really shocked at J.D. Robb’s (aka Nora Roberts) ability to create such a wonderful setting. She has developed an entire new future, one that probably really isn’t that far off the mark. I completely understand the need for a pen name, because this is so very far off the track from what I’ve read out of Nora Roberts in the past. I imagine it’s hard to make such a drastic genre change without some repercussions. Actually, I have seen first hand some of the results of that kind of change in some of the reviews of Karen Marie Moning’s Fever Series. Some of her fans picked up the series expecting it to be somewhat reminiscent of her Highlander series, and while the books are excellent (my opinion of course) they are not the same. I think some fans felt a bit duped – and Karen Marie Moning made just a little bit of a change. What Nora Roberts has done is way different from her norm.

I am captivated. I love this look at the future, I love the characters. The writing is great! This will definitely become one of my favorite series – I can tell already.

No comments :