5/17/09

Lover Avenged - J.R. Ward


Lover Avenged by J.R. Ward
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Form: Hardback Book
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood Series


Caldwell, New York, has long been the battleground for the vampires and their enemies, the Lessening Society. It's also where Rehvenge has staked out his turf as a drug lord and owner of a notorious nightclub that caters to the rich and heavily armed. His shadowy reputation is exactly why he's approached to kill Wrath, the Blind King and leader of the Brotherhood.

Rehvenge
has always kept his distance from the Brotherhood, even though his sister is married to a member. Because he's a symphath, his identity is a deadly secret - the revelation of which could result in his banishment to a colony for sociopaths. As plots within and outside the Brotherhood take their toll on Rehvenge, he turns to the only source of light in his darkening world - Ehlena, a vampire untouched by the corruption that has its hold on him - and the only thing standing between him and eternal destruction.

Source: Front flap of book


I finished this book probably 2 weeks ago...I've just been that behind!

Very exciting, action packed Brotherhood novel. I love Rehvenge for who he is. He is a deep dark protector. No matter of his sociopathic disability, he does everything he can to keep it and himself at bay, protect his family, his friends, his secret. It's taking it's toll on him. No matter - because it's all getting ready to be revealed. Ehlena is the perfect female for Rehvenge. I was shocked at how romantic Rehv is. Which was a wonderful change from Z's hard and powerful possessiveness, and V's....well, "fun and games." I think J.R. brought it out even further how different Rehv is when Ehlena showed up at V's place instead of Rehv's. Quite humorous in my opinion.

Ehlena was perfectly human, er well...normal. Her reactions to Rehv, especially when she finds out who he really is, was spot on. Hurt, betrayed...but then revelation. She figures it out all on her own. She's a very strong female, able to take care of herself...but she's very venerable at the same time. She needs the tenderness that Rehv provides.

Okay...more on the book itself. LOVE the subplots ones again, although they really weren't that secondary. The story seems to align much more nicely in this book than in books past. In the past we had the main story, then we had some side things going on. This time we had a book. Wrath and Beth played a much larger role, which was just wonderful in my opinion. I was sort of missing them. I can just imagine how difficult it would be to incorporate every one in all the books - but usually, that is what I want. I liked seeing Butch a little more too. But most of all, I absolutely ADORE the continuation - and the beginning - of John Matthew and Xhex's story.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say John Matthew is going to end up taking Zsadist's position in my heart as my favorite brother. I think it has something to do with how incredibly well we know John Matthew. There really won't be a need for too much of a back story on him, so I imagine we'll be getting to know Xhex more in Lover Mine (perfect name...I soo can't wait for this book!). We really get a nice start to their rocky relationship in Lover Avenged.

My one disappointment of the book? I was REALLY expecting Rehvenge started fighting with the Brotherhood. There is a much different alignment though - but I won't ruin that for you.

In my opinion...while all these books are great, this is the absolute best Black Dagger Brotherhood book yet. My expectation is that Lover Mine is going to meet and exceed this. I *think* this series has 3 books left, including Lover Mine, and she's definitely going to take it out with a bang.

I'm totally going to check out J.R. Ward's new Fae series as well.

No comments :