5/10/09

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling


Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Genre: Youth Fantasy
Form: Audiobook
Series: Harry Potter
Harry's back for his second year at Hogwarts, where the infamous Chamber of Secrets has been opened for the first time in 50 years. The monster that is unleashed is literally petrifying Hogwarts students (turning them into stone, that is), and who is the primary suspect? Harry Potter himself. Add to this some enormous spiders, a Deathday Party, a ghost named Moaning Myrtle who haunts the girls' bathroom, and lots and lots of suspense, and you'll soon find yourself engrossed in another terrific tale in which magic does exist and good eventually triumphs over evil.

Source: BarnesandNobel.com
I have made a decision - I am not going to read every single Harry Potter. Why you ask? Because I've seen all of the movies and so far, the books are almost to the letter exactly the same as the book. I realize that this isn't true as the books move forward. I have heard how as the movies plot on the director takes more liberties and the book and movies are no longer exact duplicates. It is for this reason I have promised a friend of mine that I would still listen to the The Order of the Phoenix book. That is where I will be picking up in the series.

I obviously cannot list myself in to the "big Harry Potter" fan category. I am not sure if it's because the movies have ruined the books for me, or if it's because the books were written mainly for the youth age group, but these books do nothing for me. I do not get excited about the characters as I read. I do not feel any type of emotion, excitement, fear, anticipation...nothing. If I wasn't listening to the audio books at work, I wouldn't be reading them at all. Let's see if I feel the same way as I get to The Half-Blood Prince - the one that, of course, I have not seen the movie for.

No comments :