1/31/09

The Darkest Pleasure - Gena Showalter


The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter

Reyes is a man possessed. Bound by the demon of pain, he is forbidden to know pleasure. Yet he craves a mortal woman, Danika Ford, more than breath and will do anything to claim her - even defy the gods.

Danika is on the run. For months she's eluded the Lords of the Underworld, immortal warriors who won't rest until she and her family have been destroyed. But her dreams are haunted by Reyes, the warrior whose searing touch she can't forget. Yet a future together could mean death to all they both hold dear....
Despite the fact that the books are sort of getting repetitive, I'm still roped into this series. They all sort of fall into the same storyline though. Handsome (in one way or another) demon possessed warrior falls for some girl, so far all of which have something extra special about them. They decide because they are a "monster" with a demon stuck inside them, that they cannot have the girl and fight the urge to be with her. Girl fall for guy as well. They have wonderfully beautiful....bedroom talk...and both parties decide that the have found their other half and will do anything it takes to be together. That's it in a nutshell.

But then there is the underlying storyline, the one that has got me hooked. Where there are two (or three if you count the gods) sets of beings hunting for these treasures so that they can find Pandora's box. I KNOW (just judging by the way the books have gone so far) that the Lords of the Underworld are going to do it some how, some way, but I like it anyway.

Danika was better female lead than Anya was for me. Although, Anya was still a big part of the book, and she still annoys me. She's like an overgrown spoiled brat. Just my opinion. I'm sure there are those out there who love her. Danika has a unique ability, that was amplified through sex, which wasn't my favorite part of their story. I like sex, but I'm not a fan of "sex is how my power shines through" or "sex IS my power" type things. I think it's silly. Anyhow, I did like that she wanted to be everything that Reyes needed her to be, no matter how disturbing it might have been.

Paris...he's the character I'm really waiting to be resolved. And I'm interested to find out how the "pet demon" is going to play out in the future books as well.

My favorite Lords book is still the first. There was just something powerful about Maddox and Ashlyn's story to me that just made it the best. Now the wait is on for book 4, coming in the fall. Until then I'll just continue through the Highlander Series, and I have a few other books that are waiting to be read as well.

No comments :