1/27/09

The Darkest Kiss - Gena Showalter


The Darkest Kiss
by Gena Showalter
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Form: Book

Though she has lived for centuries, Anya, goddess of anarchy, has never known pleasure. Until Lucien, the incarnation of death--a warrior eternally doomed to take souls to the hereafter. He draws her like no other. And Anya will risk anything to have him.

But when the merciless Lord of the Underworld is ordered by the gods to claim Anya herself, their uncontrollable attraction becomes an anguished pursuit. Now they must defeat the unconquerable forces that control them, before their thirst for one another demands a sacrifice of love beyond imagining...
I am enjoying this series. I enjoy equal parts action mixed in with the romance, it makes the stories fun and active. Unfortunately, I thought I had started from the beginning, but having checked Gena Showalter’s website I found that that just isn’t true. I am also excited to find out that there is another book coming out in September. So something else to look forward to, and add to my “must read” list – which I need to publish soon so I don’t forget. I’m thinking of adding a mini-calendar too, of the releases of books I’m looking forward to. Guess I am going to need to go back to a 3 tier blog set up.
While I did enjoy The Darkest Kiss, I liked The Darkest Night better, mainly because of Ashlyn. Something about Anya was all wrong. I didn’t like her pet names at all, or her repeated use of the word “Twinkies.” Her language and mannerisms were just annoying to me, I guess. Perhaps, because she was everything I’m not, and I could not really relate to her. I didn’t feel the attraction between her and Lucien or the desire as I did with Ashlyn and Maddox. I did like Lucien’s character a lot, and found him much more relatable and agreeable character. I loved their flash fighting. In fact, I enjoyed the fighting between Anya and Lucien a lot. I’ve said before, I like girl’s who can kick a little butt. I loved Lucien’s half-hearted attempts (most of the time) at catching her, knowing he really didn’t want to kill her. That was fun.
The book left me feeling especially sorry for Paris. I’m not sure what Gena has in store for him, but I hope there is something to make up for his loss.
I am looking forward to Rene’s and Danika’s story – I hope I grow to like Danika more than I did Anya. It is next up on my list..so I’ll find out soon enough.

No comments :