6/20/09

Tantalize - Cynthia Leitich Smith


Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Form: Paperback book


Quincie Morris has never felt more alone. Her hybrid-werewolf first love is threatening to leave her forever. And just as she and her uncle are about to unveil Austin's first vampire-themed restaurant, their chef's brutal murder leaves Quincie scrambling to transform fresh-faced Henry Johnson into a culinary Dark Lord in time for opening night. But there's more than meets the eye to this new hire, and Quincie is about to learn a whole lot about love...and blood.
Source: Back of book


Lately I've been reading a lot of young adult stuff, I know. I think that I actually enjoy the alternative/gothish reading without all the blah. Sometimes it's okay if the characters don't cuss, or rip their cloths off - and still there are werewolves and vampires and...well, other paranormal beings - yah know? It seems like the adult version of these books must include all aspects. Or are more poorly written.

Tantalize
was a book I enjoyed for the most part. It was a quick, easy read and a nicely told story. It even through me for a loop. Most of the time, when I'm reading, I try and figure out the ending. A lot of times it's very easy (i.e. typical romance novels...it's no wonder they are easy for someone to get bored with). And sometimes it really isn't so easy to determine the ending. This book was sort of in between. While I did see some of what was coming - I really missed other parts, and it threw me for a loop.

I hate being so vague, but I want you to read the book for yourself. It's cute. The characters are enjoyable. There's a sort of beauty about the book that I can't explain. I can't say that you'll be super-thrilled about the ending, but after a day or two when you think about it, it also had it's beauty and it's purpose. If you're anything like me, you'll spend a bit of time thinking of your own endings as well, but I think the end of this book is what makes it stand out from other vampire/werewolves/paranormal books.

Oh, one more thing. The cover. Doesn't the cover just make you want to read the book? It's beautiful. I'm not sure who came up with that, and don't care really - but GREAT JOB! Really.

No comments :