6/24/09

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder - Joanne Fluke


Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke
Genre: Adult Mystery
Form: Audio Book
Series: Hannah Swenson Series

Hannah Swenson already has her hands full trying to dodge her mother’s attempts to marry her off while running The Cookie Jar, Lake Eden, Minnesota’s most popular bakery. But once Ron LaSalle, the beloved delivery man from the Cozy Cow Dairy, is found murdered behind her bakery with Hannah’s famous Chocolate Chip Crunchies scattered around him, her life just can’t get any worse. Determined not to let her cookies get a bad reputation, she sets out to track down a killer.

Who would have the sheer audacity and the motive to kill the most punctual delivery man Hannah ever had? Topping the list is the high school football coach. What exactly was his wife doing, making the rounds with the milkman? Could Max Turner, owner of Cozy Cow Dairy, have had a secret he didn’t want to share with his top employee? The more Hannah snoops, the more suspects turn up. Why has Lake Eden’s most prominent prodigal son, Benton Woodley, just resurfaced? And what about the mysterious Mr. Harris who seemed interested in buying the property next to the dairy, but then disappeared? This is one murder that’s starting to leave a very bad taste in Hannah’s mouth. And if she doesn’t watch her back, Hannah’s sweet life may get burned to a crisp.


I bought this book of iTunes because, 1. I didn't have an audiobook to load onto my iPod, and 2. I was trying to find something similar to the Stephanie Plum series that I would enjoy. I was not overly impressed though. I was excited, and I must admit - this book had me constantly hungry for cookies (big surprise there seeing as how Hannah owns a cookie shop and bakes cookies throughout the entire book.)

There were actually a number of things I didn't really care for about this book. The characters just didn't jump out at me. I didn't feel the need to intimately know any one of them - nor did we get the chance to know any of the characters. The interaction between characters was really just not that great. Another thing I didn't like was it just wasn't realistic. Many times people noticed tiny little miniscule details. And I'm not talking CSI agents or anything , I'm talking like mom or sister. It's highly unlikely someone is going to notice a tiny scratch on a ring in a consignment shop that is identical to the scratch on a ring you saw on the hand of Joe-Schmoe you saw in town. I'm sorry..it was just too...much. Also, Hannah was WAYYYY more competitant than Bill, her police officer brother who just achieved a certificat or some kind of credential in detective work. Judging from this book, Bill deserves to be fired, and Hannah is one step down from super women.

Hannah's mom was annoying with her constant husband badgering. Hannah's sister was just off..one minute she is the anti-mom having her daughter calling her by name, the next minute she's trying to get all cuddly and win mom of the year award. (Okay, it wasn't THAT drastic, but it was getting close.)

Did I hate this book? No, not really. I did like the antics with Hannah's cat. Poor cat is probably the fattest in the world though. I just am not excited, impressed or interested enough to continue through the series, despite the promise of a love triangle (which I admit, did intrigue me....just a little.)

No comments :