7/6/11

Crescendo - Becca FItzpatrick

Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2)Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

GENRE: Young Adult – Fantasy
FORM: Audiobook
NARRATOR: Caitlin Greer
SERIES: Hush Hush

SYNOPSIS: Life for Nora has seemed to have slowed down a bit since the events in the school gym have blown over, and her relationship with Patch, also her guardian angel, seem to be heating up. Before Nora knows it though, it appears that she has gotten too close to Patch, and suddenly he’s taking a step back from their relationship. Almost simultaneously Nora’s mom hooks her up with an old friend, Scott Parnell, who recently moved back to town, and who seems to be wrapped up in the fallen angels/Nephillium mess as well. As secrets are revealed, lies are uncovered, some of the mystery of her father’s death begins to unravel, Nora doesn’t know who she can trust, outside of Vee.

REVIEW: Having just read Passion, which I obviously did not care for, Crescendo seemed like an excellent book. There is a lot more action, and the hot, steamy kissy scenes were definitely better as well. Patch is the kind of dark, semi-evil, sinister character that you just LOVE to love in books – (but not recommended for real life). I honestly think he makes this series worth the read. It’s Nora I have a problem with.

After the comparison of the angel books was done, and I started thinking about the book a bit more, I realized that while it was good, it wasn’t GOOD, good. Nora is annoyingly dense. There were so many times when I was thinking, “wake up, girl, you’re making some stupid assumptions there.” She seems to look for trouble, putting herself in situations that would get anyone who is not a character in a book killed. She is disobedient, and stupidly reckless. She doesn’t need a guardian angel because people seem to be out to get her, she needs a guardian angel because she does things to get herself in trouble.

In my review of Hush, Hush I mentioned my frustration about Nora’s mother, and her split personality. She sort of reminds me of that Katy Perry song, “Hot and Cold,” one day she’s mega-super overprotective mom who demands obedience and puts Nora on guilt trips and tries to hook her up with other guys she thinks might be more appropriate, but that’s only the first few chapters. Next thing you know, she morphs into mom-who-is-(conveniently)-never-there. Constantly gone, and barely even checking in.

However, I’m still very excited about the release of Silence, and can’t wait to find out what happens next. I really want things to go in Patch’s direction (and I am expecting it to, otherwise I’ll probably really hate the next book.) How’s that for split personality?!

WHAT I LOVED: Patch, and his super hot, smoldering dark personality. I don’t mind his over-protectiveness. The Scott/Nora/Patch scene was great!!

NOT SO MUCH: While I love fantasy/paranormal novels, the one thing that makes me really like them is when they are believable. Like, say, IF this scenario was possible – the life surrounding it should be as well. And while the fantasy aspect of this novel hits the nail on the head, the events surrounding Nora and her actions/reactions/consequences are just so very unlikely it dampens the “this could happen” effect.

SONG DEDICATION: Something about these novels seem to always seem to remind me of a song, or certain lyrics…this time it was “Transatlanticism” by Wenzel Templeton & Robert Pegg

OTHER BOOKS IN THE SERIES:

IF YOU LIKED THESE, THEN YOU MAY LIKE CRESCENDO:

View all my reviews

No comments :