8/28/10

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3)Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have told my husband that this was my most highly anticipated book of the year...which is why it took me so little time to read it, even if it took more time than I would have liked, but with kids, first day of school, house work, work, and other responsibilities, what are you going to do??

So, how does one end a saga about a thriving, spoiled capital with a dictator-like president and 12 (or 13 rather) districts who are basically slaves, and provide the Capitol's every need? Well, I'd say Suzanna Collins hit the nail right on the head. This is a book that I will never forget, even if there are some parts I wish I could.

This book is not sugar-coated by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, it's so real that I would hesitate to let younger teens read this Saga. This is what makes the books so good though. Suzanne Collins has created a world that really could exist (and already has on some level - minus all the technology). There really is no good happy, big red bow type of way to get through it. I will be honest (and hope it comes to no shock to those of you who haven't read it yet) but people die. People you don't want to see die, die. There were moments I was crying.

Even still, this heavy, serious book had many parts where I was laughing out loud. Katniss is witty and funny - even at times where she doesn't mean to be. There was a game (Crazy Cat - and no this will not spoil anything) that was so silly, I couldn't help be be amused myself. Especially since I've played this game.

I want to speak to other aspects of the book - but they are really meant for a "discussion" and not a review blog. Talking about them will spoil it for you. I will say that if the characters of The Hunger Games Series were real to you before, they will be so even more so in Mockingjay. You get a better understanding of Gale. Sweet Gale, whom I have loved from the beginning. You see his true passion for everything against the Capital come out; good, bad, and ugly. You get even more up close and personal with Finnick. If you weren't in love with him before, you'll fall in love with him. He's such a good hearted person who has probably more reason than Katniss does for being involved in this revolution. Then Peeta, Peeta's strength is once again revealed. Prim grows up! Haymitch is still Haymitch; never and always reliable.

If I could have one last Hunger Games request it would be this: PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A MOVIE! Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings are the only movies I can say I have honestly liked as well as the book. Unless there is a ton of money and time invested in getting the perfect cast, and setting up the special effects, and making it at least somewhat viewer-appropriate, a movie will ruin this Saga.

View all my reviews

No comments :