8/8/10

Grocery Shopping

It is a typical stereo-type that women love shopping. I can't say that I love shopping, but I do enjoy shopping. Especially if I'm out with my mom or with a friend. I'm not much for shopping alone. So I was thinking about this one day, why DO women love to shop? I do think it's the friendship, the talking, the looking around, being out and about, finding that special "no way I can pass this up" deal. Really though, there is just something about spending money, and getting something in return.

So I have 3 kids which makes us a family of 5. We eat. We eat a LOT! On a weekly basis we go through at least 2 dozen eggs, 3 gallons a milk, 1 jar of peanut butter, at least 1 box of cereal (sometimes more), a TON of oatmeal (because I have 2 kids who could eat the stuff morning, noon and night), and lots of chicken. This is just the beginning; both of my shopping list and of the madness, because right now my kids are only 6, 5, and 3. Imagine the shopping trip in another 5 years...I don't even want to THINK about it.

Needless to say, grocery shopping is not my favorite activity. It is almost accurate to say that I hate grocery shopping. Anyway, lately I've been trying to deal with this part of my brain that just groans on grocery day, and I've been trying to look at the bright side. I get to spend money! I get to go out and hunt for good deals, spend money, and have something to show for my effort.

I wish I could say that it worked.



On another front...I've been trying my hand at writing a book. I've got a basic story down - characters, supporting characters, and many of the scenes. I've written about 15 pages, and I've got many scenes directions, ideas swimming around in my head of where I want to take it.

Now, I haven't written anything since I was in college...9 years ago. While I did very well on what I did write, they were reports. They were not fiction. And I'm sure - if you read my blog at all (does anyone read my blog?) I don't have good grammar. While I've got many of the basics, I forget sometimes when a comma should be there and when it shouldn't (I'm a splicer) and outside of business e-mails at work, any other writing I've done has been on this blog, or Facebook or something equally - not important. I write how I talk, even if it's not how it's read. I use strange characters that in my head make sense in what I'm trying to portray, i.e. I use "-" to show that I've paused in my through process, it means I expect you to read a slight delay in my thinking. Whether that means anything to you or not, I guess I just don't care. I know how I want to sound. Anyway, I'm off topic. What I am saying is....I'm writing a book. I've written more than I ever have before, and while I want it to be good, I'm not keeping my hopes up for anything. A million people have tried or are trying, and only a few of those get published. I can honestly say I've read a few books that really shouldn't have been published.

That being said, maybe one day when I'm ready, maybe I'll share a bit or two of my work. We'll see.

No comments :