3/25/13

Book Review: Clockwork Princess - Cassandra Clare

Author Site:  Cassandra Clare
Genre:  Young Adult: Fiction - Paranormal, Steam Punk, Romance

Synopsis (from Goodreads.com):


Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy
Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?
Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.
A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.

My Review:  
I have been sitting on the conclusion of this series for a couple of days now.  The Infernal Devices has been my favorite series since I accidently stumbled upon Clockwork Angel two years ago.  I mean, who could resist Will’s charm and wit?  Aside from that, I love Cassandra Clare’s writing style, and even though I’m pretty done with The Mortal Instruments series (done, as in, I’m kind of tired of the characters, etc, not finished..there is still another book left) I was thankful for this offshoot – same world different story, series.  And I have fallen more in love with these characters than I could ever have fallen for Jace and Clary.  I think it’s the setting, and the mix of ego and wit and proper manners.  Oh, and don’t forget all that literature.  It was a reader’s paradise.  And Will is a reader’s ideal guy.   I mean….you know that movie, Practical Magic, with Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock?  You know how she puts together all of these unrealistic qualities for the guy she wants to fall in love with and sends it off into the night?  Will Herondale would be my all time “unrealistic qualities” guy.  Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my husband…but black hair, blue eyes, utterly romantic to the core AND loves to read??? 


So yes, I have been waiting on pins and needles for Clockwork Princess to release, and at the same time, a little sad that the series was coming to an end.  I have read and re-read Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Prince over and over and over again.  Time will only tell if I do the same again now that the series has ended.  I loved the book.  It was a perfect wrap-up of all the crazy little pieces of information just floating out there in the air.  I choose to purchase the audiobook, since I already had CWA and CWP on audio, figured it was only appropriate.  When I listen to audiobooks, I listed while I work, and I’m sure I make a spectacle of myself sitting in my small (man-made) corner of the world snickering at something Will or Jem, or even Gabriel and Gideon have said.  The book started off with me laughing a lot, but as expected, things got serious pretty quickly.  And sad.  How could it not?  I mean, there are inevitable things coming, we’ve seen them coming all along.  The bittersweet quality of this book makes me shy away from the thought of reading it over and over as I have the previous two. 

A list of things that I loved about the story:  One, I was almost correct about Tessa and what/who she was.  I was so very, very close; but for whatever reason, what I thought was HER, was actually her mother (sorry for the vagueness..it’s purposeful).  But I was close enough to feel that sense of “ah-ha-ness” about being right.  I also love Sophie and Gideon.  Gideon and the scones and, well, their entire relationship played out so nicely.  It was a perfect off –shoot story to include in the mix of the craziness that was Clockwork Princess.  I was just okay with Cecily being drawn into the story for this last book, but felt her presence was kind of minor and could have been worked around and cut out pretty easily.  I liked her, don’t get me wrong, but she seemed to only be on the outskirts of the entire thing.  The best, best, best part of the book though, was Mortmain’s ultimate demise.  I LOVED how that played out, and I did not see that coming – although I probably should have.

Okay – on to what’s really on my mind.  Here is where you stop reading if you haven’t read this book yet.  It is VERY spoilery, but I have to talk about it to someone!  Please stop now if you haven’t read this book  - I hate ruining things for people.  In fact, I’m going to change the text color.  Highlight below to read.



Okay, so, the scene between Tessa and Will; EVERYTHING I would have wanted.  So beautifully done and just, yes!  I have always, always been on “Team Will” and I like Jem’s character, but I never felt like Tessa was near as drawn to him as she was Will, ever.  I felt like her love for him was almost more sisterly than it was passion.  So when Jem became a silent brother (my friend figured this one out during the last Mortal Instrument’s book btw), I was kind of happy, and was hoping for that to be the end of it.   Then came the epilogue. 

First of all, when we [readers] wish to know what happens next after the end of a book…we don’t really want to know what happens next.  We just think we do.  To “watch” Will grow older and die, leaving Tessa alone was heart wrenching.  I was crying and…I quite honestly was thinking about growing old with my husband.  I was starting to suffocate with the idea of only having so few precious days with him and our children and…well, of course I know that.  But to watch something like that play out in less than ten minutes was very difficult.  Then, to bring Jem back into the picture for her to start over again.  I am just not sure if I liked it or not.  I mean, it’s nice to think that she will get another chance at love, and will not be lonely for another lifetime, but this is just something I don’t…I don’t know.  I don’t know how to put it into words.  The girl isn’t suppose to get both guys.  She isn’t suppose to have her big red bow at the end, and then also get a big silver bow also.  It kind of had that (PLEASE DON’T HATE ME) Twilight feel about it.  You know, how Bella was suppose to have to give up these aspects of her life to be with her one true love.  It was a sacrifice she was making – and then, instead it was all worked out and worked around so that she could have EVERYTHING.  It kind of just leaves me with the feeling of …eh?!  I just don’t know.  I can honestly say, this is a whole new approach to the “love triangle” though.

I love this series.  I love these characters.  I loved the wit, and the heartache.  I love the some-what, but not over-the-top steampunk quality to it (because let’s face it, Steampunk books have a tendency to tip a bit over the top…)  Thank you, Mrs. Cassandra Clare, for delighting your readers with your amazing ability to create new worlds and placing us readers right in the midst of it.  I appreciate it, and look forward to some new stuff from you soon!

No comments :