8/13/11

Ten Things I Love About You - Julia Quinn

Ten Things I Love About You by Julia Quinn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

GENRE: Adult, Historical Romance
FORM: Audiobook
NARRATOR: Rosalyn Landor
SERIES: Bevelstoke Series

SYNOPSIS: Annabel Winslow has been sent to her Grandparents house for no other reason than to find a husband that can support her, her mother and her seven brothers and sisters. Right off the bat, she has a prospect; the Earl of Newbury. The Earl is a man older than her grandmother, is disgustingly overweight, and extremely overbearing, but he is determined to have Annabel, not only for her lush curves but also her promising childbearing hips. He is determined to get an heir so that his nephew, Sebastian Grey, does not inherit his title when he dies. Annabel is not happy with this prospect, but is willing for the sake of her family.

Sebastian is a man who is known for his passive personality, and rakish ways with the women; especially married women. He enjoys his easy life, and has no immediate intentions of marrying. However, when Annabel Windslow shows up on the scene, there is something about her personality and laugh that draws him to her. His attention to her ends up becoming a scandal and a much gossiped about love triangle between the Earl of Newbury and the heir of the Earldom, with Annabel trapped in the middle.

REVIEW: This is the first book that I have read by Julia Quinn, and I must say I enjoyed it thoroughly. I became instantly attached to the characters she created; especially to Sebastian, the charming, silly, sarcastic, rake. He really has stuck with me the last few days while I was listening to these books.

I really enjoyed her storytelling abilities. She made both Sebastian very three dimensional, both having fun personalities, but also having a lot of depth in their characters. The scandal in society was amusing, and many of these scenes were breathlessly sexy.

WHAT I LOVED: Sebastian's character. He was just an outright, honest and good person. He was amused frequently by Annabel, and he himself was amusing. I really enjoyed watching him fall in love. I also loved when we finally got to hear the 10 things he loved about Annabel.

NOT SO MUCH: Too much of the Earl. I continued to think we were "rid" of him, and then it seemed like he kept coming back, which made the ending feel like it dragged on and on.  I also am not a big fan of the cover of this book.  It makes me think the book is contemporary instead of historical. 

OTHER BOOKS IN THE SERIES:


View all my reviews

1 comment :

S.B.Niccum said...

Cool story! I'll have to give it a try.
S.B. Niccum
Author Website
Author Blog
Chicks In Lit Blog