8/13/09

The Summoning - Kelley Armstrong


The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal

Form: Paperback Book

Series: The Darkest Powers



Chloe Saunders used to have a pretty normal life. But that changed on the day she met her first ghost. Locked up in Lyle House, a group home for troubled teens, she finds out that there's more to the home's teen residents than meets the eye. Will Chloe be able to uncover the dangerous secrets of Lyle House...or will its skeletons come back to haunt her?
Source: back of book


One Word Summary: Suspense

The Summoning had me on the edge of my seat most of the book through. Mostly because there were so many questions to be answered (still are), and it’s dealing with ghosts. I’m not so good with ghosts – vampires, werewolves, etc. are fine. Ghosts are a little bit scary for me. I’m thankful this was a young adult book, because I imagine it would have been worse (for me) written for an adult.

Really, this book – I hope – was mostly an introduction to the characters. It helped determined who’s who and what’s what. Who you can trust, and who you can’t. Even though Simon and Derek are still iffy according to Rachelle, I personally think they are going to play a key part in the next book. I’m hoping that The Awakening will go a little bit further than the hospital, or a home for “special” teenagers. I really enjoyed the escape/chase scene at the end of The Summoning, and I hope that The Awakening will be more action, and perhaps those with powers begin to have a purpose other than to be with each other. I felt like we were just getting somewhere in that category when the book ended…which I’m sure was by design.

All-in-all, the book was good. I’m excited to move forward with the storyline, find out what happened to Simon and Derek and what is going to happen to Chloe and Rachelle, and Jen (who I would like to predict is actually alive…but perhaps that’s just wishful thinking on my part).

No comments :