8/27/09

The Awakening - Kelley Armstrong


The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal

Form: Book
Series: The Darkest Powers


If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl - someone normal. Now my life has changed forever nad I'm as far away from normal as it gets. A living science experiment - not only can I see ghosts, but I was genetically altered by a sinister organization called the Edison Group. What does that mean? For starters, I'm a teenage necromaneer whose powers are out of control; I raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever.


Now I'm running for my life with three of my supernatural friends - a charming sorcerer, a cynical werewolf, and a disgruntled witch - and we have to find someone who can help us before the Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying.
Source: Book flap



One word summary: Riveting

Yet another saga for me to obsess about, as if I’m not waiting on enough books to come out as it is. As as young adult books go, this is the best saga I’ve read since I started The Hunger Games about this time last year. (BTW, the 2nd book, Catching Fire is getting ready to come out in October, I cannot wait!) The Awakening is the second book in The Darkest Powers series, although I think saga is a better description. To me “series” are books about the same people, but each person has their own series; or different beginning, middle, end – same characters, I.E. Black Dagger Brothers Series, or In Death series. “Saga,” is the same story, same characters, just stretched out over a number of books.

The Darkest Power series falls under the “trendy” category. Ever since Twilight made it big, with the vampires and supernatural powers being a major part of the book(s), paranormal and fantasy books have been trickling out of the publishers like water. Or maybe I’m just noticing them more, because frankly I LOVE this trend. Anyhow, while these books are trendy, supernatural, paranormal, an element of fear, they are not typical. Usually these books are very romantic in nature, a definite love story precedes all else. In The Summoning and The Awakening, it’s not the love story that takes over the plot, but discovery of who and what they are and survival. There seems to be a romantic undertone playing out, and I really want it bad; Chloe and Derek all the way, but it’s no where near the focus of the book. I think that may be what I’m finding so appealing about these books. I love romance, but lately I’ve been so knee deep in them (and will continue to be) that these books have come as a nice change.

I noticed growth in the characters throughout The Awakening. Tori, although still annoying as ever, even seems to be catching on the actually listening and becoming somewhat of a team player. I hope for a happier story for her in the next installment. Derek’s personality lightened up a bit half-way through the book, mostly due to Chloe. I think Chloe is actually pretty much the same. She seems to have the most to learn about her powers, and controlling them; and as a person she always seemed mature for her age and knew how to trust and make semi-rational decisions. She cares about everyone, as Tori complains about every chance she gets, to a fault. I predict that Jen is going to be even more useful in the next book than she was in this one. And I really hope Rae jumps on board and understands what’s going on…sneaky little twist with her character in this book by the way, not what I was expecting.

As I mentioned before, I’m anxious for The Reckoning to be released, I’m sure the books will offer just as much excitement as the first two. I’m concerned about it being the last book though – I already know I’m going to want more. More story, more explanation, more of Chloe, Derek, Simon, Tori and even Rae and Jen.

No comments :