10/25/15

Book Review: Instant Happy Journal - Karen Salmansohn

Title: The Instant Happy Journal
Author: Karen Salmansohn

Book Description:       
On the heels of Karen Salmansohn's wildly popular gift book Instant Happy comes this happiness journal, with daily prompts to help you think about and apply happiness wisdom to your own life. Each page features a specific intention, inspiring quote, surprising scientific fact, or thought-provoking question to ponder. When you approach your day with Salmansohn's "happiness prompters" in mind, you amp up your ability to notice (and create!) many more joyous moments in your day. But that's just half of what it takes to live a supremely happy life. This journal teaches the top two habits of happy people: to naturally set their intention to enjoy a happy day, then end the day reflecting on what made them happy. When you end your day writing about what went right, you further strengthen your happiness mindset. With fill-in dates so that you can write and reflect at your own pace, this little journal features a graphic design and fresh attitude perfect for today's modern happiness-seeker.

My Review:
Recently I've gotten back into doing daily journaling, and by "journaling" I mean I jot down a brief description of what went on through the day of the lives of my husband, my kids and I.  Sometimes it's a mundane description, sometimes there's a lot to say.  Sometimes it's just a really good outlet for the things that frusterated me in the day.  What makes this Journal different is that it forces you to focus on the good parts of your day.  It reminds us how even in the tiniest of moments, we are incredibly blessed.  By thinking on the good things on a daily basis I believe that we slowly start to have a mindset change where instead of finding outselfs feeling so beat down by the cares and stresses of our life, but we start to realize that while live is in no way perfect - there is something there (any small thing there) to be happy about!

What I Loved:  The format of this book is just wonderful.  It not only focuses on the positive, but each page is just a little different.  You have to look at your life from different angles.  It also stretches your creative muscles and sometimes work hard for the response.  Of course the journal is only going to be as good as you make it.  If it becomes an obligation or something that you just fill out because the blanks are there it's not going to be near as good as if you actually decide to spend some time thinking about the daily entry and investing the time to put down a thoughtful answer.  And imagine the wonderful memory book you'll have at the end of the 365 days.


Not So Much:  NOTHING.  This is a cute journal, and I think each and every person young and old can enjoy this!

The Verdict:     
 This book review is appropriately timed because I just found the perfect Christmas present for nearly everyone on your list...especially those 'hard to buy for' people who have just about everything.  I think that I would love to have this journal yearly for a beautiful, positive, and encouraging history of my life.  And my kids would probably love it too!

3 comments :

DJ Sakata said...

I fail at the journal - I can't think of a thing to put down of interest...

Joselyn said...

it actually looks great as a gift if you ask me, sign me up for that one XD

where can I got it ?

Unknown said...

I love it too! It is always on my coffee table, it helps to start my day off right : )