5/29/15

Book Review: Just My City Boy - V. L. Holt

Author: V.L. Holt
Genre: New Adult - Romance

**I received this book from the author for review. Other than the joy of reading, I received no compensation for this review.**

Synopsis from Goodreads:  
Two New Adults Weren’t Looking for Romance, But They Found it on the Midnight Train

Boy Mugs Girl, Girl Outsmarts Boy, Boy and Girl Go Out for Coffee?

In this sweet frolicking romp, two unlikely friends meet under crazy and heart-pounding circumstances. Zack Daniels is a 20 something trouble-maker trying to find his place in the world. When he mugs Lauren in a last ditch effort to get a ticket out of town, he gets more than he bargained for. He takes a midnight train going anywhere...but home.

Lauren Beckers is a 22 year old Southern girl trying to make a go of it in the big city. She's never met a stranger, but she's also a magnet for trouble. Thank goodness for her fast-talking smooth tongue and her trusty "insurance". She takes a midnight train going anywhere...but home.

When the two meet as a result of a crime gone bad, they discover a kinship that goes beyond the normal trappings of the Millennial generation. They discover friendship, trust and something even more unbelievable to find in the dirty underbelly of a broken-down city: love.

My Review:
Just My City Boy reminded me of an old fashion classic movie in the way that the story read. I even imagined the it in black and white in the beginning; the story was melancholy until Lauren and Zack managed to come together as a couple, and then color started seeping through the cracks.

What I Loved:  Lauren was incredibly outgoing, chatty and most of the time just a riot.  I loved how she talked herself out of bad situations.  Her confidence was refreshing as it's not a character trait often used for women in many books.  Zack was a sweet sensitive guy with that military exterior and some bad boy tendencies, it is difficult not to like him.

 I also enjoyed the "song theme" of the book, I find myself frequently matching up a song to characters in a book, but in this case the work was done for me.  If you didn't immediately know which song I'm talking about, I challenge you to take a trip to google-land and see if you can't figure it out....then listen to it!

Not So Much:  The characters seems to be either all "good" or "bad," with Zack being a sort of exception.  In that way, the story felt a little bit off.  For example, Peter, Zack's roommate, was completely on board with forgiveness without even understanding what really was going on with Zack.  That is wonderful, and I wish people were more like that - but it just doesn't usually happen that way.

Rated:  PG-13, for mild language and mild violence
Rating: 4 Stars

~*Books by V.L. Holt*~

1 comment :

Michelle said...

Great way to describe the beginning - old fashioned black and white feel. It fits. Good book!