3/7/13

Book Review: Unravel Me - Tahereh Mafi

Author Site: Tahereh Mafi
 Form:  eBook, Nook
 Genre: Young Adult - Dystopia, Romance, Fiction

Synopsis (from Goodreads):   
tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
it's almost
time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.


My Review:  I just finished reading this book literally 5 minutes ago, and I can tell you that I have a myriad of emotions to go along with it.  I devoured this book.  I can't believe I held off as long as I did to read it, except I was hoping it would end up on the libraries downloadables (since Shatter Me and Destroy Me are both there).  So while waiting, I re-read Shatter Me, then read Destroy Me, waited another week and finally bought Unravel Me.

So one, teenage angst + mentally unstable = a little bit much for me.  Adam was WAY over the top with his feelings, but it seems to be the theme of these books.  Everyone FEELS every little word, emotion, thought as if they were taking some kind of "feelings steroid."   It makes for good reading though, I suppose.  I mean, if my husband would confess to the type of love as Adam...and Warren apparently have...well, geez, I'd be a puddle of goo on the floor too.

So, here we go with the love triangle, which I think is horribly unfair.  Tahereh Mafi sort of has me going for the underdog in this one, which is unusual for me.  I'm usually pretty straightforward.  However, the unfair part is this; you CANNOT have your characters say things like "I've loved you forever," and "I've always loved you," and have these heart wrenching encounters, and then turn around and have mixed feelings.  (Well, I guess you can, I mean..here it is.  She did it.  It's definitely possible.)  But you all get what I'm saying, right?  I just..I can't...I can't wrap my mind around it.  I guess I like the big red bow.  And I've already admitted to a desperate hate for love triangles.  NEW THEME AUTHORS...PLEASE RELEASE US FROM THIS STUPIDITY!  :)

Why am I being so mean to this book?  I love it.  I already said I devoured it.  Every word.  Okay...one more complaint.  I really hope Juliette does not go back to wishy-washy in book three.  This back and forth is giving me mental whip-lash.  Do you want to fight, are you strong, or do you want to cower in a corner and cry and feel guilty about every little last thing in your life.  Again...teenage angst.  Arg!

Okay, so despite the angst, and the back and forth, and the triangle....I have to say, I think I just must love Tahereh Mafi's writing.  It seems like too much, but I find myself wanting more.  I find myself just wanting to eat it up or finding a spot to hide and just live there.  That doesn't happen very often.  Another bonus for me, I think the last book that made me flush was Clockwork Prince - and it's been over a year since that came out (even though I've read it 5 times - the first time is always the best).  The book just barely stayed on this side of decent...but again, I was gobbling up ever last drop!

Thank you, Ms Mafi, for your words and your story!  Despite my complaints, you still earn the full 5 stars, I mean...really.  I imagine I'll be re-reading these again before book 3 is released.

No comments :