12/29/11

2011 Year In Review

First book read in 2011: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
Last book read in 2011: Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler
Total books read in 2011: 115

Book of the Year:  Undecided
There were so many new books in 2011, a lot of dystopian series that are just getting started, which is one of my new favorite genres. A couple series coming to an end; The Wolves of Mercy Falls, and The Fever Series most specifically. It is really difficult for me to sit and say, ‘Yeah – THIS was my favorite book of the year.’ I’m really at a loss here. I loved Shadowfever! No matter what I had anticipated might happen in that series, I was always surprised. Then, I actually read Anna and the French Kiss so many times this year that you would think that would be it…but there is just something…not impacting enough about that book to be deemed the ultimate favorite of the year.  It’s just one of those gushy, feel good books that I love revisiting. I think Forever and The Clockwork Prince were the two books I most anticipated this year – but neither are really my favorites. Forever was a great end to a series, but it really contained nothing new that made it stand out, and The Clockwork Prince; I love the characters and the scenario, but it just doesn’t fit the bill. So, I think I’m just going to have to remain silent on this one. There were a large number of books I really, really loved this year, but none that stand out more than another.

Favorite End of a Series:  Shadowfever
The Fever Series was so fun, exciting, sexy, thrilling, just edge of your seat GOOD! If you like fantasy/romance, you WILL LOVE this series. Just trust me on that one!

Favorite Dystopian:  Divergent
So this is the year of the dystopian novel, and why not after the success of The Hunger Games, right?! There are were so many this year, and many of the novels fall into other genres as well, but some of the dystopian novels I read this year include Across The Universe, Matched (and Crossed), Delirium, Divergent, Solstice, Wither, Eve – Once again I’m finding it hard to pick a favorite. I love the cover of Wither, but I think my favorite is going to have to be Divergent. I think it’s mostly because of the action and strong female lead.

Favorite Romance:  Pride and Passion
I read an abundance of Romance novels, mostly thanks to review copies, and publisher and author requests. I’ve been really big into Historical Romance this year. This year my favorite was a book I got off of Netgalleys, Pride and Passion. I really just feel in love with the characters of this book, especially Adrian. I just really enjoyed how much in love with Lucy he was, the anguish he was in over her at times…I just remember finishing this book thinking about how I kind of wanted to start over from the beginning and do it all over again.

Favorite Hero: Cricket Bell
I want to do Will Herondale again…but he was 2010’s hero, and I feel it necessary to no repeat myself. SOOoo I’m going to have to go with Cricket Bell of Lola and the Boy Next Door. It was a close run with Etinne St Clair though (let’s face it, Stephany Perkins knows how to write those awesome male leads) but Etinne loses simply because he stayed with a girl he didn’t love for fear of rejection! Cricket is (unsurprisingly, because it’s me) dark haired and blue eyed. His hair is wild, he’s got an awesome if not slightly eccentric sense of style, and he’s a nerd. He loves Lola so much – he doesn’t sway, he is dead set on her no if, ands, or buts. Reading about him made me want to start writing on my hand in sharpie and wearing rubber bracelets. And that kiss at the end of the book – wow!

Movie of the Year: The Three Musketeers
I love going to the movies. I think watching movies is my second favorite pastime, after reading of course. We didn’t go as much this year as we normally go, and I probably didn’t see any of the real big movies this year that weren’t a part of a franchise. I loved Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, and Breaking Dawn Part 1. Of course there was Beastly and Little Red Riding Hood. I think, though, that I preferred The Three Musketeers to all of those. Silly, I know, but I love the old fashioned “super heros” (Robin Hood, Musketeers, Zorro, etc.) The movie had its flaws and “yeah right” moments, but I still just really enjoyed it.

What's in store for 2012:
There are obviously a TON of really good books coming out in 2012, parts of series I've already started, etc.  And YES, I will be reading them this year for sure.  I think I'm going to scale back on the number of publisher requests I take on this year - that's not saying I still won't accept any, but my TBR pile is large and getting larger by the day.  It's out of control.  So this year, I want to focus on:
1.  Reading most of the unread books I own
2.  I signed up for the  2012 ebook reading challenge, and have agreed to 25 ebooks, which I have no doubt I can fulfill - perhaps surpass.
3.  I want to read 2 Non-Fiction books
4.  I want to read at least 1 classic book
5.  My total goal:  100 books in 2012.

No comments :