3/5/11

Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins

Anna and the French KissAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Summary

In her senior year of High School, Anna's father, a now famous sappy tragic romance book writer, decides that Anna should spend the year studying abroad in Paris. Torn from her best friend, Bridget, and her almost-boyfriend, Toph, her brother, Sean, and everything she knows - Anna reluctantly goes to Paris and is immediately struck with homesickness and a feeling of being lost, and a fear of sticking out like a sore thumb. Thankfully, with the help of a group of friends, Anna finds herself able to navigate the streets of Paris, at times even alone. She's learning French, and seeing things she's never even dreamed of being able to see. She's also finding herself torn between Toph, and her new best friend St. Clair (Etienne), the sexy American with an English accent and a French father. The friendship that sparks immediately quickly flames into much more.

Review

I loved this book. It was so fun and entertaining and just beautiful. It had a certain "Twilight" appeal that I think I've finally figured out the source of; the book focuses almost entirely on the two main characters. Everything else in the book is sort of part and partial. You get to know the main characters, in this case Anna and Etienne, so well that they become a part of your mind. They are like friends or alter egos or something. You want to keep going and going with the story, even though there is just no more to tell. I'm pretty sure the same thing with Bella and Edward applies...it has nothing to do with sparkly vampires, and everything to do with knowing the characters completely. Anyway....

I almost don't even know what else to say. I think I really enjoyed the progress between Anna and Etienne. I loved the light teasing and playfulness between them that just continued to spark and grow as the book moved forward. I enjoyed the lightness of the book too. There were no major serious undertones. I don't want all off the books I read to be that low on content, but I love a break from seriousness. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that before though.

So I have one major MAJOR problem, and I don't think that this has anything to do with the author, and I'm sure it has nothing to do with the book. Has anyone noticed the vast amounts of grammatical, technical and spelling errors that comes with reading an e-book?? Why is that? Some of the technical stuff I understand, because converting text often does that. I have that problem just moving something from work, into email, then opening it up at home. But spelling errors? What, are we getting the 2nd or 3rd draft instead of the final? I have wondered more than once if the actual book was published that way, and I'd wager to say no...but since I'm reading the e-book, I can't be positive about that.

View all my reviews

No comments :