7/28/10

Jessica's Guid to Dating on the Dark Side - Beth Fantaskey

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark SideJessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey




What a great book. So much better than what I was expecting, if I must be honest. I was thinking a cutesy High School Vampire book. And it sort of was, but there were elements of seriousness about it as well. I was expecting chapter headers like, "lesson 1 - yadda yadda yadda." Instead what I got was chapters that ran together even on the same page, which made it even more impossible to put the book down - because I never really felt like I was at a good ending point. I rely way to heavily on chapters. :)I really enjoyed Jessica and Lucius' transformations throughout the book. Lucius comes to Pennsylvania (haha, typical Vampire setting I'd say) stiff and cordial and a bit weird really, but watching him move from that to a normal teenager is great. It makes the ending chapters a little hard for me though. I didn't like the move back into Vampire royalty with avenges. But it did make for a good book. Jessica (Antanasia) was also a great character. She was your typical, and logical teenager. I enjoyed watching her move into her role as well. I love Lucius' description of teenagers at school:"Although I sometimes secretly envy their ability to empty their minds completely for a full fifty minutes, reanimating only at the sound of the bell, like Pavlov's dogs. At which point they bark and yip about the hallways until classes start again." Yup, that's pretty much how I remember it too.Beth Fantaskey did a great job with the love story as well. Just enough to make your heart pound, but not too much that you wonder just why this book is for young adults. I look forward to more books by Beth!

View all my reviews >>

No comments :