2/16/09

Sunshine - Robin McKinley


Sunshine by Robin McKinley
Genre: Paranormal Fiction
Form: Book

There are places in the world where darkness rules, where it's unwise to walk Sunshine knew that. But there hadn't been any trouble out at the lake for years, and she needed a place to be alone for a while.

Unfortunately, she wasn't alone. She nver heard them coming. Of course you don't when they're vampires.

They took her clothes and sneakers. They dressed her in a long red gown. And they shackled her to the wall of an abandoned mansion - within easy reach of a figure stirring in the moonlight.

She knows that he is a vampire. She knows that she's to be his dinner, and that when he is finished with her, she will be dead. Yet, as dawn breaks, she finds that he has not attempted to harm her. And now it is he who needs her to help him survive the day...
Sunshine for me was one of those intriguing books that was also hard to read. Robin McKinley's style has her describing things in a LOT of detail. I mean, everything is very well laid out. You get a description of everything little background detail of everything. It was almost more than I could take. But the relationship between Sunshine and Con was interesting enough I continued to press forward. I actually probably missed some details because I would get lost in all the stuff, or find myself wanting to find dialogue again. I like interaction between characters - this book lacked that.

Outside of that, Robin McKinley really is a very good story teller. I found myself wanting more and less at the same time. In the end I really wanted more, but she did allow you to have an imagination and figure out the ending you would want in stead.

I actually stumbled upon this book in a trade at Swaptree (which if you haven't checked it out yet, you should!). The book wasn't on my want list, but someone offered up in trade for something of mine, and after reading the description I thought it was worth the chance. I am happy I got it.

1 comment :

Jena said...

I was pleasantly surprised by Sunshine. I didn't even know it was coming out (this was years ago) until I wandered into the bookstore & there it was. I didn't even read what it was about--just added it to my basket. (I'm like that with McKinley's books.) Her style works really well for her fairy tales, but though I remember being pleasantly surprised by Sunshine (and rather hoping for a sequel), I don't remember details, so I have it on my list of books to reread.

Glad you enjoyed it! (If you're new to McKinley's books, I highly recommend her YA books and Deerskin.)