5/26/11

Red Glove - Holly Black

Red Glove (Curse Workers, #2)Red Glove by Holly Black
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

GENRE: Young Adult – Paranormal
FORM: Audiobook
NARRATOR: Jesse Eisenberg
SERIES: Curse Workers – Book 2

SYNOPSIS: Cassel has succeeded in keeping his family safe. He is allowed to return to school, and live on campus, so he is determined to make the year count, and hopefully somewhat normal. That is until he finds out that Lila, the girl he loves but can’t have because his mother has cursed her to love him back, has enrolled at his school, and avoiding her is going to be very difficult. Next, he’s called into the office and taken off campus by two Federal Agents, who inform him that his oldest brother has been murdered, and using persuasion and threats have recommended that Cassel to find out who the murder was, and inform back to him.

REVIEW: I have said it before and I’ll say it again, I love the entire concept of this series. I can’t honestly say it’s my favorite ever – but it’s just, the entire idea of a mob family with special abilities that help them in their “work,” is awesome to me. Then there is Cassel, who grew up around all the cons and magic, and has just recently found out he has abilities, not just that – THE most dangerous one. He has dreamt of working jobs his entire childhood, but is now realizing the consequences of tricks and cons, and is now faced with the issue of doing what he thought he wanted to do, and doing what he feels is right.

WHAT I LOVED: The Cassel/Lila dance. I think throwing in the curse (which I absolutely HATED in White Cat) brought an element of despair to the relationship, which tends to equal a bit more passion. I can’t wait to see this play out further.

NOT SO MUCH: The narrator. He’s not horrible, don’t get me wrong, I mean common, it’s Jesse Eisenberg! I even think the pitch and tone of his voice is all perfect. It’s his delivery of the lines. There is sarcasm and wit that just didn’t come out right, because of how the lines were said. For me, half the fun of listening to an audiobook is listening to the characters take on a voice of their own.

View all my reviews

OTHER BOOKS IN THE SERIES:


No comments :