9/21/10

Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Infinity (Chronicles of Nick, #1)Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I have read...I think it's 3 other Sherrilyn Kenyon books, so I can't say I'm a big follower or anything, but for the most part I enjoy her writing style. Always lots of action packed in with lot of emotion. Acheron was the first book I read of hers ever, and I must say there is a special place in my heart for Acheron...all books need to have more of him in them!



So Infinity is about Nick Gautier, a normal looser teenager, tiny fish in a big pond if you will. He's surrounded by snobs, jerks, and rich brats, while he would be...well nerd might not cover it given the fact that he lets his mother dress him. I like Nick though, mostly. He seems like a typical teenage guy; in a mouthy, and 'every decent girl I see is the hottest one ever' sort of way. Strangely, I actually liked his mouthiness the most, I love sarcasm...and I'm probably going to eat my words when my kids are teenagers. But for now, I like it. The story was pretty good. I'm not all into zombies, but I know the teenagers are. In fact I recommended this book to a few zombie lovers I know, just because it was semi interesting.



To me, though, zombie seems even less likely than Vampires. I'm not all into that. And zombies created....well, how these were created (no I'm not going to give it away...sheesh), I just wasn't all into that. I did like how, despite his attitude, Nick was mostly a respectable young man. Especially toward his mother. Actually, he was so good - in fact - I had a hard time even believing it was possible for him to have been the evil he was suppose to be. I just didn't see it. I could see how Sherrilyn Kenyon was throwing it in there, and in his thoughts that she wrote out for him, but it just didn't jive with how he acted. So I, in sum, I felt like his character was uneven in a...maybe could have been written a little differently...kind of way. Not a, I'm a hormonal teenager and could be Mr. Nice Guy one minute and Frankenstein the next, kind of way.



Also, what the heck, where are the normal people in this book? It seems like in most paranormal books, the ratio is definitely in the human's favor. This one seemed like it was reversed to the degree that you would have had to be living under a rock not to realize what was going on. Which leads me to the authorities "zombie" explanation - a virus. If that was so, why would they keep a teenager locked up in jail. My thought, and this is just me...they probably would have taken him to a hospital and strapped him to a bed. But what do I know.



Anyway, so really. 3.5 stars is probably my real rating (But half stars are not an option, and I do think 3 is not enough). I liked it. The book was entertaining, and fills that "fantasy" desire I have, but I also felt like it was lacking in a way that Sherrilyn's other books just were not.



Oh, and so far...I'm not a big fan of Nekoda..not yet anyway.



View all my reviews

No comments :