6/13/10

eBooks

Soooo, I read my first eBook this week. I don't have a Nook, or a Kindle or any of those readers. I have an iPod Touch. Barnes and Noble has been giving away free eBooks for people who either have a Nook or their book application. Free Books! So of course I took advantage of the situation.

Of course the book I read was NOT one of the free ones. That would have made WAY too much sense. The book I read was City of Glass by Cassandra Clare. I had read City of Bones and City of Ashes almost back-to-back due to well times Swaptree trades. Unfortunately I did not get the 3rd book quite so easily. After reading City of Ashes there was NO WAY I was going to wait. I sat and debated about running out and getting the book at Target or Wal-Mart or where ever, or downloading the eBook. Convenience won out. I downloaded the book.

So my thoughts: eBooks aren't nearly as annoying as I thought they would be. I was expecting that because while an iPod Touch is awesome, the screen is still a bit small. I thought the lack of a larger screen would drive me nuts. It's so easy to "turn the page" that there was absolutely no annoyance what-so-ever. And talking about convenience, I didn't have to carry a book back and forth to work or wherever I went. I didn't forget the book at any of those places either. I take my iPod with me everywhere I go anyway, so naturally I had my book. While the cover of City of Glass was not bad at all, I have read books that had sort of embarrassing covers. With an eBook, there is none of that annoyance. No bulk. I'm feelin' the eBook love.

Until......I think about how much money I spent on the book. Probably about as much as I would have paid at Sam's Club, except now I'm stuck with the book that I probably won't read again (it's not one of THOSE type series that you just repeat constantly). I usually don't mind purchasing books because if I love them, then they stay in my collection. If I like them A LOT, but don't want to keep them, I trade. So I get a book for a book, and then some because once I have a book, that's just another book in circulation - so really, I buy one book and actually get several (with the cost of shipping of course). So yeah, eBooks do have their downfall. Especially for me, who's always lookin' to keep up my habit with as little out of pocket cost as possible (and keeping it legal!)

No comments :