9/21/08

The Pilot's Wife


The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

A pilot's wife is taught to be prepared for the late-night knock at the door. But when Kathryn Lyons receives word that a plane flown by her husband, Jack, has exploded near the coast of Ireland, she confronts the unfathomable - one startling revelation at a time. Soon drawn into a maelstrom of publicity fueled by rumors that Jack led a secret life. Kathryn sets out to learn who her husband really was, whatever that knowledge might cost. Her search propels this taut, impassioned novel as it movingly explores the questions, How well can we ever really know another person?

I've read 3 of Anita Shreve's books this year, and while I usually do find them captivating and fun - I'm always left just a little short. I always wish she'd finishing them out just a little bit more. Usually Anita does leave me with a since of satisfaction though, but in this book it's not the case. I've been dwelling on it for a couple of days now, and I just wish there was a little bit more closure. It was a gripping book. It captivated you, and as always, Anita always adds the twist at the end to make it just a little bit more exciting. I love her attention to details that create such a wonderful picture. I always feel like I'm right there in the story watching as it unfolds.


Next from the bookcase: Vinegar Hill (gotta love picking up .99 books at the thrift store!!)

Looking forward to these recommendations:
The Jane Austen Book Club - recommended by a friend, Tina
The Hunger Games - recommended by Stephenie Meyer on her website

No comments :